Disney is having a big today with numerous movie announcements and date changes all hitting at once.
There’s plenty to go through, so I’m going to break it up into sections for you.
• A sequel to this year’s Ant-Man, titled Ant-Man and the Wasp, will hit theaters on July 6, 2018. Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly will reprise their roles as Scott Lang and Hope van Dyne, respectively.
• This added film pushes Black Panther up to February 16, 2018. However, it also pushes back Captain Marvel AGAIN to March 8, 2019. That doesn’t bode well for Marvel’s first solo female film, which was originally supposed to come out in July 2018 and then was pushed back to November 2018 and now pushed back again. Sigh.
• They also announced three new untitled films to be released in 2020: May 1st, July 10th, and November 6th. Any ideas what these films could be? They’ll most likely be the start of Phase 4.
• They announced the dates for four live-action films: December 22nd, 2017, November 2nd, 2018, March 29th, 2019, and November 18th, 2019. These could be Mulan, the Mary Poppins sequel, Tim Burton’s Dumbo, Tinkerbell, or a number of other titles that are floating around.
• In terms of animation, Moana, which now has its lead, will hit theaters on November 23, 2016, and Gigantic is set for March 9, 2018.
• The Incredibles 2 officialy has a release date! The Parr family will blast back to theaters on June 21, 2019.
• Cars 3 has been scheduled for June 16, 2017, taking the spot of Toy Story 4. That film, which will be about Woody and Bo Peep, is now set to come out on June 15, 2018.
Phew! Okay, that’s it for now, but it’s certainly a lot to take in.
There are some exciting bits (Wasp! Black Panther sooner! Incredibles 2 date!) but also some disappointing pieces (the delay of both Captain Marvel and Toy Story 4, most notably).
Luckily Disney’s other big branch, Lucasfilm, has so far kept its schedule intact.
What do you think of these big changes and announcements? What films are you most looking forward to? Sound off in the comments!